Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I know it's been a bit since I've updated. Sorry! I can't believe how fast the times goes by. Having 5 little ones keeps me busier than I figured. :)

Madison had an MRI (quick scan) of her ventricles on Monday. Everything looks good, and her growth curve is normal. Her head is a bit large (percentile-wise) but the surgeon isn't too concerned as long as she stays within the same percentile. I asked when we could stop worrying about a shunt, and the answer was basically "never." Hard to hear, but he did say that statistically, 50% of kids will still need them at this point. He also said that he "had a feeling" she wouldn't need one. Not sure what that means, but I'll cling to that. Seems the symptoms are more important than the actual ventricle size, since people vary a lot in their individual sizes.

She's growing well. 11lb 14oz and 22 1/2 inches long. She's strong and enjoys looking around and being on the floor to kick and wiggle. This doesn't happen as often as I'd like because of the other monkeys we have running around the house. Hannah has taken a real liking to her "sissy" and has actually picked her up a few times before I can get to her. Good thing she's a strong little bear. Abby kisses at her, but doesn't pay too much attention to her unless she's on the floor. Then she sidles up to her feet and starts pulling and poking.

Her big brothers and sisters are in love with her, and she'd be held 24/7 if they all had their way. Kirsten has been here as much as she can with her full schedule, and Linda is helping me out a few hours most days during the week. Very nice.

So, we go back to the neuro in 2 months. In the meantime we'll see her regular doctor, spina bifida clinic doctors, and the local urologist. We meet him on the 27th.

Still praying her little bottom gets better. The soreness waxes and wanes, but never looks good. I am thankful for how well she is doing overall. She is quite the little miracle.....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like she is doing wonderfully, Kim! I am so glad you have your older daughters available to help out; they sound like wonderful blessings :). Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, My name is Kathi - I have a son that is 16 1/2 years old that has SB and Hydro. I was reading that you were having problems with her bottom healing. I had that problem with my son and the 'diaper oinments' never worked. I finally used bag balm and it worked! It is just a suggestion if you are still having problems.
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete

Madison Walking 22 1//2 months old! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Madison and Mommy

Madison right before her surgery on August 25th 2009

Madison almost 6 months